International School Manila hosts….IASAS Music Cultural Convention: February 28th to March 4th, 2018
ISM will be hosting students from the IASAS schools (Singapore American School, International School of Kuala Lumpur, Taipei American School, International School Bangkok, and Jakarta Intercultural School) for the IASAS Art/ Dance/ Drama/ Tech Cultural Convention, 2018. In order to put this event on, we need to provide home stays for 115 students while they are in Manila. Groups will arrive Wednesday, February 28th and depart on Sunday, March 4th.
Hosting is an excellent opportunity for ISM students. It forges international friendships, which often last beyond High School into College. Indeed, there are many instances of IASAS friends becoming roommates or joining together for regular social events. In addition, hosting also has a very practical purpose as it keeps the costs of running the event at a manageable level for families. Many ISM students have already benefited (or will do so in the future) from home stays in other countries. Therefore, hosting IASAS students is a chance to repay past and future kindnesses as well as make new international friends! More importantly, it is a lot of fun!
General guidelines/expectations for host families when housing for an IASAS event:
- Pick up and drop off from and to school on arrival and departure days (Feb 28th to Mar 4th, 2018)
- Transport to school each morning and transport home each day of the event (can be bus in the mornings on school days).
- Provide breakfast and evening meals (except for Saturday- IASAS banquet will be held at school. Students buy their lunch at the canteen.)
- Ensure there is adult supervision when visiting students are at your home each evening. (This should be an adult family member, not a paid helper.)
- Enforce the 9pm curfew for all IASAS delegates.
- Answer curfew calls from the visiting students’ advisors after 9pm each evening.
Answers to commonly asked questions:
What guidelines are there for sleeping arrangements?
- You will need to provide each student with a place to sleep, bedding and a towel.
- If you have a double bed, it is fine: the visiting schools try to pair friends together so this isn’t an issue and we forewarn people so they have a chance to opt out if they are uncomfortable with this idea.
- Airbeds, mattresses on the floor of your child’s bedroom and sofa beds are also fine.
- If the hosted students are sharing a room, it must be with somebody of the same gender.
What expectations are there regarding supervision?
- There must be an adult member of the family home during the evenings
- In a car, there must always be a member of the host family. This may be an ISM student or parents.
- Answer the curfew call from the visiting teachers, who do this after 9pm each night.
When will I know who I am hosting?
- Unfortunately, hosting is like a giant puzzle. We can place the students until we have all the beds. We hope to be able share this with you at least 3 days before the event.
I am an IASAS Delegate. Does this mean I need to house?
- Yes. All delegates need to house in the year they travel for an IASAS event. When a student is part of an IASAS event hosted by ISM, it is expected that they host for that event. If the student is travelling, then they must host for any event in that school year. Ideally, the family can host while the student is absent if there is another MS or HS sibling in the house.
- If you cannot fulfill your obligation, you must find a family that can do so on your behalf.
What do I do now?
If hosting is something your family is happy to do, please fill in this Google IASAS CC 2018 Hosting Form. If you have any additional questions regarding the hosting process, please feel free to call or email me. We will then contact you 2 to 3 days (or earlier if we get all beds quickly!) before the event to let you know the details of the students you will be hosting and other important logistical details.
Thanks for supporting the IASAS Music Cultural Convention at ISM!