WHEN and WHERE: IASAS Drama auditions are afterschool on Wednesday, November 2nd and Monday, November 7th. You will need to attend both days to try out for IASAS Drama. Both parts of the audition will take place in the HS Dance room 3050.
What does the audition involve? You need to come to both phases of the audition to be considered. On the Wednesday, we will be devising scenes. You will then be given specific tasks for developing these and be prepared to present on the Monday. Obviously, your ability to touch base with your scene partners will be part of the process.
What should I do before the audition? Number 1 is to complete this audition form before October 21st
Do I need to prepare anything for the audition? i don’t need any prepared scenes but you should research ideas that you can use in the devising process beforehand. See below for a list of starting points.
What are we looking for? This will be a devised ensemble performance utilizing physical theatre so the audition process will look for the following skills:
- *Adding or developing ideas during devising
*Researching and developing material in between rehearsals
*Physical and spatial awareness
*Willingness to act upon an idea quickly without too much discussion (Do it rather than talk about it! Follow your instincts!)
*Ability to establish clearly defined characters in a short space of time
Starting Point for Devising: The German legend of Faust
Faust was a celebrated academic yet dissatisfied with life. In exchange for infinite wisdom and power, he promises his soul to the devil. We will take this basic idea and explore what this might mean in a 21st century context. What aspects of your humanity would you give up in order to get what you want? Areas to research before auditioning:
- The basic outline of the legend of Faust (both Goethe and Marlow versions). Wikipedia is fine.
- What it means to make a Faustian deal
- The concept of Duende, both the idea of sprites but also in connection to the soul and art.
- Current news about people using the internet to gain power/ knowledge or using technology to enhance their natural abilities (e.g. Google glasses)
- Any other ideas you get from your research!